Thursday, September 22, 2011

Musical Influences

I was listening to composer Ottorino Respighi's 'Ancient Aires and Dances'  the other evening, while looking through some old travel magazines and photos for a possible landscape painting subject. I had come across a scene of the Scottish Highlands before and liked it but wasn't sure it was a dynamic enough compostion.  Respighi's  'Aires and Dances'  aren't associated with Scotland or the British Isles  neccesarily, but there's a musical connection, I think, in the rhythms and cadences, and the slightly melancholy tone. (The pieces were actually based on some Renaissance Lute pieces of unspecific origin).  I ended up painting the Highland scene as best I could, and I would say Respighi's quietly beautiful and evocative music influenced me to do so.  I hope you like it.  An Italian, Respighi was a highly trained and successful composer and musicologist, who often drew on centuries-old references for his works.  He died in 1936, due to illness, at the young age of 56. 

John Guernsey

p.s. FYI.......just found out, an item on my recently mentioned event listing, The Roswell/Chattahoochee Plein Air Festival, (sept 28th+) has been canceled for this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment